Wednesday 28 November 2012

A Vicky Hill Exclusive!


Author: Hannah Dennison

Published: March 2008

What They Say:

Introducing Vicky Hill, a suffocatingly single reporter whose attempts at finding the right man and the scoop of a lifetime take a backseat to murder.

The debut of a brand new series set in the sleepy English town of Gipping-on-Plym features sweetly bumbling investigative journalist Vicky Hill, who will do anything to get that front-page story. But the unusual death of local hedge-jumping enthusiast just may lead to Vicky's own deadly downfall.

What Sheli Says: I am a sucker for a cosy mystery and am a massive fan of M. C. Beaton, so thought I would give this book a go.

It is a story about a young reporter called Vicky Hill who is struggling to find her big journalistic break as she is left to cover the many funerals in the town whilst her sexier, more confident colleague gets to cover all the juicy stories.

After a dodgy death in the town, Vicky does a bit of undercover work to get the front page scoop of revealing the death as a murder. She befriends the locals and comes across a few red herrings along the way as she uncovers more and more dirt on the locals for her front page splash.

The story is pretty formulaic as is to be expected from this type of book and to me that is in no way a downfall as it is one of the trademarks of a good cosy mystery. I enjoyed reading the book and it was full of interesting characters and some good local gossip. I also enjoyed the fact that I felt that it took a few twists and turns along the way and kept me guessing as to who the murderer was.

One of the downfalls of this book was that the protagonist was so young and naive and seemed to dwell a lot on her unpopped cherry. I didn’t feel that this added to the story, but this may be my personal view as I prefer a more mature detective such as Agatha Raisin.

All in all a fun story and I will read more from the series.

Sheli's Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment